Skip to content

Register with YACC

Enter your first name
Enter your last name

What’s Happening with Me

= Posted in November 1998 =

Hi everyone, I’m writing today to give you a quick update on the happenings of my first few days in hospital, as it was an eventful time. Two days ago I met a Hematologist (Blood Specialist) named Dr. Scully, for the first time, and she told me that I could expect to be in hospital for two weeks, which was a bump from the 3-5 days I was told in the ER late that night on the 6th. Hearing news about my stay caused me to adjust the bar, and re-focus my priorities, as I certainly hadn’t planned on a hospital stay, much less a two week stay.

Yesterday, November 8th, was the first time I heard the word Leukemia in relation to me. At this point the Doctors aren’t certain, but there suspicions were confirmed shortly, as today, November 9th, I was officially diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). After a discussion with my Doc, I have discovered that my 2-week stay is actually an open-ended ticket. I don’t have any idea when I’ll be getting out, so I have once again adjusted the bar and will proceed accordingly.


I would like to flashback for a moment, and talk to you about yesterday. Shortly after I met with Dr. Scully, and we discussed the potential events of the next 4-5 days, I was given my first day-pass, which means I was allowed to leave the hospital.

I was required to stay in for a little to make sure I had all the necessary medications and then around 1-2 in the afternoon I was able to leave the hospital with instructions to return by 8:00 p.m. The feeling of leaving the hospital was numb; as best I can describe it. I left with my Dad and we drove to my apartment, as I wanted to get some things for hospital living. On our way from the hospital I requested that we go to Signal Hill, as it is one of my favorite places in the world. At this time I was unsure if that would be my last time out of hospital, ever. My future was very uncertain, and I attempted to gather my thoughts as best I could and make full use of my few hours of freedom.

After arriving at my apartment I chatted with my roommate, who asked me how things went at the hospital? I remember sitting on my bed as he came in… I remember him asking what the Doctors were saying and if they had an idea what was wrong. I remember struggling to get the word Leukemia out. It took a few minutes, but after several attempts it came. That was the first time I said Leukemia.

I proceeded to have my Mom pick me up, and make another trip to Signal Hill to have a look at our city and ocean. Then it was back to my Dad’s house where I was planning to spend some time before meeting some close buddies for supper. My energy quickly ran out and supper was moved to take-out at my Dad’s. I’m not sure what was on the minds of my buddies during supper, as only one or two of them had any idea about what I might be facing. After a great visit, I was spent and 8:00 rolled around. So I made my way back to hospital, with one last look from Signal Hill, under the light of the moon.

I then re-entered hospital and began to focus on the Challenge ahead.

You’ll hear from me again soon.


Browse news by similar topics

Check this out!

View more news from YACC:
My Personal Update

We LOVE our partners!