Are you passionate about Young Adult Cancer Canada (YACC)? What about improving the attention, connection, resources, and quality of life of young adults living with, through, and beyond cancer? Do you recognize the power of using your story to drive change? Are you looking to supercharge your advocacy?
You should be a YACCtivist! YACCtivists further the mission and impact of YACC through advocacy, communications, and fundraising. YACCtivists provide energy, influence, perspective, and leadership from their knowledge and experiences with being a young adult dealing with cancer or by caring for another young adult with cancer. YACCtivism makes your story the medium and the message.
The YACCtivist program was developed by YACC to drive growth by developing their most valuable resource: the community.
The 2019/2020 team of YACCtivists will grow the organization’s capacity by leading fundraising and development efforts, bringing awareness of the young adult cancer experience and YACC programs to their regions, and serving as ambassadors of YACC to the media and our partners.
We are looking for YACCtivists representing voices from coast to coast and the diversity of identities and experiences of young adults impacted by cancer in Canada.
To be eligible for this position, you must meet the following criteria:
- You received (or supports/supported someone who received) a cancer diagnosis between the ages of 15 and 39
- You live in Canada
- You are available to attend a specialized training weekend at a TBA location (all related costs to be covered by YACC). Potential dates, decided by applicant and staff availability:
- Thursday, August 8 to Sunday, August 11, 2019
- Thursday, August 15 to Sunday, August 18, 2019
- You have attended at least one YACC event, such as Localife, Big Cancer Hook-up, Retreat Yourself, Retreat Yourself Adventure, or Survivor Conference
- A strong communicator
- Excited about being a leader and a voice in the YACC community;
- Creative in your approach to advocacy and storytelling;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Bilingualism is not necessary but would be viewed as an asset.
- A passionate community builder
- Natural relationship builder;
- Outgoing, friendly, charismatic, and enthusiastic about building community;
- Passionate about helping others with a demonstrated commitment to volunteering;
- Empathetic, caring, and respectful;
- Have a positive attitude and approaches challenges with creativity and optimism;
- In a place of peace and acceptance with your personal cancer experience.
- A commitment to professionalism
- Demonstrates integrity and trustworthiness;
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and effectively manage time, and does not get easily overwhelmed;
- Demonstrated ability to see projects through from start to finish;
- Not over-committed with other responsibilities (work, volunteer, family).
Educational/professional background in one of the following areas is valued, but not necessary:
- Creative Arts
Communications and content creation: To maintain a social media presence for YACC on public platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as to contribute original content for YACC’s social media channels and website. Help build an active and deliberate YACCtivist voice to build YACC’s influence and brand.
Awareness and advocacy: Share your story and the YACC program with media, donors, and partners to increase YACC’s impact and reach. Nurture existing relationships with health professionals and foster new ones, and ensure local cancer centres, hospitals, and community-based cancer organizations are well-stocked with up-to-date YACC resource materials.
Partnerships and development: Help build YACC’s capacity to provide programs to young adults with cancer by leading and participating in regional and national fundraising efforts. Also includes connecting with current funding partners to recognize their contributions, as well as help in building new connections for corporate collaboration.
We ask that all people interested in applying are confident that they can commit approximately 5-10 hours per month from August 2019 until August 2021. This time may be spent out in the community or volunteering from home.
This is a volunteer position, however, YACC will provide reimbursements to YACCtivists to ensure they do not incur personal costs through participation in the program.
If you think you’d make a great YACCtivist and you meet the eligibility criteria, please complete an online application form by midnight Monday, July 1, 2019. If you have any trouble accessing this form, please email [email protected] for alternative options.