Since 2012, Localife has been connecting young adults dealing with cancer in their own communities through fun, casual events and opportunities. We’re looking for a new leader to help YACC with its mission of being “a connection to peers, bridge out of isolation, and source of inspiration.”
The “job” description
Localife is run by volunteer teams of two or three young adults who have been diagnosed with cancer or have supported someone in their lives who was diagnosed as a young adult.
The role requires you to work together to plan at least eight *face-to-face events per year (some of these can be a literal walk in the park), seven to ten Facebook group engagement activities per year (i.e. photo challenges, etc.), submit some minor reporting after the event (i.e. blog post, photo/s, stats, receipts), and help with advocacy and awareness activities in your area where applicable.
*Note: Due to COVID-19, Localife cities have been going between online/virtual events and face-to-face events (when it is deemed safe) for the past two years. We anticipate this trend to continue. It depends on the guidance and regulations based in each Localife city. For this recruitment we want the leaders to be comfortable with both virtual and face-to-face events so we can plan accordingly throughout the year.
We ask that all people interested in applying are confident that they can commit approximately 10-15 hours per event from February 2022 to June 2023. (We will train the successful applicant in February and transition them into the position in February/March.)
This is a volunteer position, however, YACC will provide reimbursements to Localife leaders to ensure they do not incur personal costs through participation in the program.
- You’re a young adult aged 18-39ish, who received (or support someone who received) a cancer diagnosis between the ages of 15 and 39;
- You live in, or near, the city of recruitment;
- You, or the person you support, are at least one-year post-treatment; and,
- You have attended at least one YACC event (if you have never attended a YACC event, you must provide at least one reference from a professional involved in providing cancer care/support and you must commit to attending a four-day face-to-face event with YACC within the next calendar year.)
- Passionate about helping others and have experience volunteering;
- Outgoing, friendly, charismatic, and enthusiastic about community building;
- Positive and approach challenges with creativity and optimism;
- Empathetic, caring, and respectful;
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and effectively manage time without feeling overwhelmed. They must also be able to communicate with their co-leader in a timely manner esp. in the lead up to events;
- Someone with integrity and trustworthiness;
- Comfortable writing or speaking about YACC;
- Comfortable being active on Facebook (specifically within a private Localife group for your specific city);
- Fuelled by seeing projects through from start to finish;
- In a place of peace and acceptance with their personal cancer experience;
- Not over-committed with other responsibilities (work, volunteer, family); and,
- Due to the increase in virtual/digital events we would like the successful candidate to have access to a laptop/desktop to make running the events easier.
- Bilingual (not necessary, but would be viewed as an asset).
Educational/professional background in one of the following areas is preferred, but not necessary:
- Event planning
- Leading groups
- Social Work
- Health promotion
- Recreation therapy
- Art therapy
- Volunteer coordination
- Digital media (i.e. social networking sites; making videos; etc)
Hear what some of our other leaders had to say about their experiences:
“Localife changed me in ways I can’t even explain, I loved every single minute with every single person that attended. We always had a natural connection and I still hope that I will be able to attend a few events after I am replaced. Each part of YACC, little or small has made a huge impact on me.”
– Kelly, Localife St. John’s
“Leading Localife is kind of like deciding to throw a party in the middle of a hurricane. All hell is breaking loose and you shout through the chaos, “Hey! Pull up a chair!” What a gift to be able to help facilitate connection and community for other young adult cancer survivors on their journey. In my opinion, leading Localife is badass and a lot of fun. Yup, there will be moments when your heart breaks as you listen to someone’s story, but trust me, even those moments become part of why you walk away from an event with a quiet smile and a full heart. Here’s to navigating the storms together!”
– Jenna, Localife Calgary
If you think you’d make a great Localife leader and you meet the eligibility criteria, please complete our open call for volunteer online application form by March 31, 2022. If you have any trouble accessing the form or need to submit your information in another format, please email [email protected] for alternative options.
Please note, this form is an open call for all volunteer positions within YACC. If another position also tickles your fancy, feel free to indicate so on the form. Thanks!